102 Interesting College Essay Topics For Students
Before you can finally enter any college or university, you will be required to submit an essay application along with the other requirements. Many students dread having to compose their own essays especially since not everyone has the writing skill and even the patience to do it. There are several college essay topics that you can write about. But the question is, which topic will you choose and how do you create a quality college essay?
How To Pick Creative College Essay Topics
It wouldn’t be a difficult task to write your own college essay if there are guidelines or suggested topics available. You just have to follow the guidelines provided. But what if it is a free form of writing where you are allowed to choose your own topic and write your own college essay whichever way you want. Apart from being part of admission application requirements, college essays may also be required by your professor. So, how do you choose a topic that will give you a high mark and will impress your target readers? For application essays, your goal is to impress your readers and at the same time share something new to them. The choices are quite limited if you are writing an essay for this purpose. For college essay assignments, you get to have broader list of choices. For college admission essays, you can work on the following topics:
- Memorable Experiences: Among the best college essay topics there would be memorable experiences. Choosing college essay topic examples can already be a difficult task. But for this kind of essay, you do not have to stress out yourself. Whether it is a memorable experience in school or during any of your travels, you might want to use it as your essay topic and be creative with it.
- Outdoor activities: Apart from memorable experiences, you may also want to choose outdoor activities as your college essay topic. Who says that being a student always has to be about academics? You can definitely share your life outside school. What are the different activities that you like doing? From your outdoor activities, you can share many interesting insights.
- Challenges: Sharing your life’s challenges can also be a good topic for your college essay. Apart from sharing your thoughts and feelings through your paper, you also get to help your readers as they can learn something from your paper and what you have learned from them.
Ideas For College Essay Topics:
In applying for colleges or universities, you may be required to submit a college essay. But once you are already in school you will also be required to submit college essay. To create a top notch paper, you need to choose a good topic. For college essay topics, you will never run out of choices since there are too many topics. So here we are, ready to provide you with excellent topics for your college essay.
Personal College Essay Topics
Your professor will want to know more about you, so don’t be afraid to express yourself (not too much though) and tell a little about your cool self. Here is a list of 12 topics that will get you on the right track.
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What is your greatest strength?
- Why did you choose this particular college?
- An event that changed your life
- An inspirational moment you have had
- Describe what growing up in your hometown has taught you
- Describe what community volunteering means to you
- What characteristics do you value the most?
- Talk about an influential person in your life
- Which character trait would you like to develop?
- Where do you see yourself in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years?
- What are your life goals?
Creative College Essay Topics
Let’s get creative! Professors get tired of boring generic topics and that’s why sometimes you will need use your imagination and come up with something that will surprise your professor. Here are some ideas.
- What motivates you?
- If you could meet anyone, who would it be?
- If you could make a difference in the world, how would you?
- If you can make an invention what would it be?
- How does politics influence your life?
- How does social media influence your life?
- If you could live in another country which one would it be and why?
- Describe a success in your life
- Describe a failure you have experienced
- What do you think about global warming?
College Essay Admission Topics
You do want to get admitted to college, right? Then you have to write something that will catch your professor’s attention and will make him or her think: “Wow, we need this awesome student in our college”. And here is a list of topics that will surely get you noticed.
- How would you advise someone who is just starting high school?
- What is your biggest fear in regard to staring college?
- What are you expecting from the college?
- Who do you think has made a global contribution that was worthwhile?
- Describe a news worthy event
- What is the most important invention of the 21st century?
- Who do you admire and why?
- What was the best advice you ever received?
- What is the biggest risk you have taken?
- What makes you outraged?
Unique Topics For Your College Essay
Some topics are often used but some are completely unique. Here is the list of topics you won’t find anywhere else, not even in the biggest library in the world. Enjoy some of these topics for college students.
- Something in your past that you would like to change
- Discuss a personal local issue of importance
- Describe a fictional character or historical figure and how you were influenced by that person
- Discuss an international concern you have
- Describe an ethical dilemma you have faced and how it impacted you
- Describe a family member who has influenced you
- Growing up in your neighborhood
- Select a creative work and describe your view on it
- Discuss your favorite book and explain why it is your favorite
- Describe something that has given you great personal satisfaction
Your Personal Ideas In College Essay
You are a wonderful human being with your own beliefs, ideas and thoughts and you can’t let anyone else tell you how and what you think think and what you should believe in, since you decide it for yourself. College essay is a great way to share your own ideas.
- What do you think was the most important social movement of the 21st century?
- If you could observe any person ‘in action’ who would it be?
- What invention would the world be better off without and why?
- If you could spend a day any way you wanted what would you do?
- If you had the power to change 3 things- what would they be?
- If you were to write a book –what would you write about?
- Describe a conversation you had that gave you a different perspective
- How has your family and upbringing influenced who you are today?
- What taste in music do you have?
- Your favorite author
Best Topics To Choose For University
Some topics are good but some are the best. Choose wisely when you decide to write an essay for university. Your professors will be strict and you will need to do your absolute best.
- Your biggest achievement in last 5 years
- Sport you played in high school
- Your biggest strength and weakness
- How will you improve the university?
- How did you contribute to your high school?
- What was the best thing about high school?
- Why do you think higher education is important?
- What will you do to make life on campus better?
- How will you represent your university?
- What is the biggest thing you are going to miss about high school?
College Essay Topics To Avoid
As you can see, yes, there are some topics you should stay away from. It’s good to have your own opinion about certain topics but your professor might not agree with some of your ideas, so it’s a wise idea to avoid these topics. Be attentive, students!
- Donald Trump is the worst US president
- Teenagers start having sex at a very early age
- Immigrants should be sent back to their home countries
- Religion is just the way to lure money from people
- Guns should be allowed in America
- Porn websites should be banned
- Marijuana and LSD should be legalized
- Mental illness shows the weakness of mind
- 9/11 was planned by US government
- Osama bin Laden was an FBI agent
College Essay Topics About Achieving Goals
Your professor definitely wants you to have a strong desire towards achieving goals and getting only the best results. Here is a list of excellent topics for college students about achieving goals.
- Describe your biggest failure in life
- How do you achieve your goals?
- What is the hardest obstacle you’ve faced?
- What changes did you have to go through?
- What did you have to sacrifice to achieve success?
- Would you be able to commit crime to achieve goal?
- What advice would you give to your 5-year younger self?
- How important is achieving goals to you?
- What is your biggest fear and did you conquer it?
- Do you think it’s important to sell goals for yourself?
College Essay Topics About Personal Qualities
Your personal qualities say a lot about you. And it’s important not to lie, because your professor will quickly notice that something is wrong. Be honest, do not try to show only your best side. Remember, honesty is the best policy.
- What is your most embarrassing moment and how did you overcome it?
- Describe the situation where you had to risk
- What is the one thing that you’re best at?
- What is the one thing that you’re worst at?
- Have you ever had to save someone’s life?
- What are the qualities that best describe you?
- What do you think are the qualities every person must have?
- Have you ever tried so hard that almost gave up?
- Is there something you truly regret?
- What did you like to do most in high school?
College Essay Topics About Everything
Finally, when there are no specific ideas, you can write pretty much about everything. Here are college essay topic examples that dwell upon many aspects of life and you can pick whichever you like.
- Why do colleges require essays?
- Who will be reading the essay I wrote?
- What influenced your choice of college?
- What do you think is the best thing about college?
- What do you think is the worst thing about college?
- Is there a way to combine education and leisure?
- What would you do if you are not accepted?
- Describe your first day at college
- Why do you think you are the best candidate?
- Who is your biggest role model?
College Essay Topic Examples You Can Always Use
If you are given guidelines, you never have to worry about the topic. But if it is free form writing, you should choose a college essay topic where you can express your creativity and where you can showcase your writing skills. In finally selecting for a college essay topic, go for a topic that will create a good impression. This is important especially if you are applying for a top university. If it is part of a school requirement, write a topic that will interest your target audience. You wanted 100 college essay topics? Now you’ve seen 102! And if you need to receive writing assistance, be sure to visit our service.